Saturday, July 4, 2009

The 4th of July



Happy Fourth of July! We have had a great one so far! We have the rare treat of high temperatures and clear skies for this glorious 3 day weekend. I am trying to relax and enjoy as much of it as I can. We had friends over last night, and excuse to make some onion straws to top burgers...they have been demanded for all future gatherings to follow! I found some perfectly red, white and blue ribbons for some roses in my little antique milk jars. I wanted to mix some little flags in with the roses, but ran out of time to hunt some down! Next year, maybe.



I also was able to finally use my newly hung homemade chalkboard! It is looking a little bare on our kitchen wall, but no fear... I have some ideas for friends to keep him company. Just a matter of time...



I had seen similar chalkboards in boutiques for $200+ dollars (it is a large one!) and decided to just make one myself. It has been a slow project, but with hubby's help we finally got it done! We picked out a frame (16x24) and a piece of sheet metal from the hardware store. I primed it, and painted it with chalkboard paint... we plugged it into the frame, and backed it with some foamcore board to keep it steady. Then viola! I love it. It makes me happy! I will be sure to take pics once the wall is more "done".

1 comment:

Corinne Morash said...

Our friends made us a chalkboard for Mason that is in our kitchen, and I grew up with one at my grandmas. I LOVE THEM! So cute!