Saturday, July 4, 2009

Project: Dining Chairs


I recently decided that what I really needed was some new adorable dining chairs. I knew I could find some chairs easily and cheaply someplace. I wanted some that could be painted white, and have the seat cushions re-covered with my favorite Heather Bailey fabrics. Within a few weeks of deciding this... on a drive home, I found some. Right in my own neighborhood! As we drove by I saw them with a box sitting atop shouting at me "FREE". It was a nice evening, so after dinner I buckled the 2 year old into his stroller, and away we walked... time to check out the chairs. As I got to the chairs, I realized the box atop declaring "FREE" actually contained lots of mason jars. Hmmmm. Is it the chairs or the mason jars that are free? Well, I could see somebody sitting in the living room and decided, instead of just assuming and taking items from my neighbors, I would just inquire. I knocked at the door and could almost immediately see the mistake I made. A man's voice gruffly yelled from inside "Get back, get back" while a little dog barking could be heard. Oh. He opened the door, and no sooner did I begin to ask him then a little dog snuck between his legs and ran past me into the yard. "Oh goddammit" he yelled. Oops. Several minutes of chaos ensued, causing his wife to emerge and assist. Finally the dog was corralled and calm again.
"So sorry... just wondering about the chairs" I asked.

"Honey, do you want the chairs?" the woman asked me, slightly exasperated.

"Yes, Please" I reply.

"Go ahead and take the chairs".

"OK"

I get back home and hubby asks, "So, how were they". Great... then I tell him the story.

"I don't think I can go back for them, I am SO embarrassed"

"You had BETTER go get them!"


So I did... and I am glad I did because I think they turned out pretty nice. I sanded them down, primed them, painted them white and every so slightly "shabbied" them with some sanding paper, then covered them with some new fabric. I can't convince hubby that we should paint the dining table white to match (opposites attract... I love painted wood, he loves natural wood) so, instead I invested in a white tablecloth (Shabby Chic line from Target).
Before:

In Progress:


3 comments:

Corinne Morash said...

You are amazing. How do you find time to do this stuff?

Anonymous said...

Nice blog.... buy dining chairs from online store to decorate your home

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.