Monday, September 28, 2009

Gooseberry Patch

I love cookbooks. I read them like other people read novels. I pick them up wherever I can find them... and often times I have to find new and creative places to store them.

My most reliable, and most oft used cookbooks (because, let's face it... sometimes we are tempted to buy cookbooks that we will never, ever actually cook from!) are those from the "Gooseberry Patch". At nearly every dinner party and holiday, you can bet that at least one dish will be made from one of the many gooseberry patch cookbooks I own.

Why? Because they are no-frills, fuss-free and just plain old, good down home style cookin'. The added perk, nearly all of them come with other ideas for decorating, gift giving, crafting and celebrating.


This weekend, I made a wonderful Sunday brunch... with nearly everything coming from, or at least inspired by, a recipe from one of these wonderful cookbooks.


I think the favorite was "Oven-Baked Maple Pancakes" from the "Merry Christmas" book. The syrup was almost like carmel, and drizzled over the top, it was divine!

Oven-Baked Maple Pancakes

No need for syrup... it's baked right in!

3/4 cup of brown sugar, packed and divided

1/2 cup of butter

1/2 cup maple syrup

1 1/2 cup biscuit baking mix

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup milk

2 eggs

Heat 1/2 cup of brown sugar, butter and syrup in a small saucepan over low heat; stir until melted. (I actually skipped the step of melting in a saucepan, and just used soft butter, then spreading the mixture in the bottom of the pan...worked great, and one less pan to clean!) Pour syrup mixture into a lightly greased 13' x 9'' baking pan. Combine remaining ingredients and beat with a whisk or fork until well blended; pour over syrup mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until top springs back when touched in the center. Cut into squares; invert onto a serving plate and serve immediately.

Serves 6-8



No comments: