Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sunflower Soiree


Mother Nature has graced us with a few very nice, warm late summer days. I decided to take advantage of these last warm days before fall officially debuts and host a small, impromptu dinner party. I had previously been inspired by the Sunflower Soiree featured on "The Party Dress", and threw together my own version. I did it in one day, mostly with items I already had around. If I had spent more time planning in advance, I could have done more, but it still turned out pretty cute.

I confess, I made the invitation after the party. My friends are content with verbal/email invitations, but had I sent invitations this is what they would have looked like...

Outside: simple and elegant, folded and tied with a pretty ribbon


Inside: I sewed a button on a paper flower from my local scrapbooking store to create a sunflower. Black and white gingham paper shows once the flaps of the invitation open. Cute and easy!

A party is not a party if there are not fabulous favors to take home. That's my theory. Many years ago... when I turned 18 years old, and had a love of sunflowers, my creative aunt made a super cute sunflower cookie. Her's was as big as a plate and I remember loving it. So, what's a girl to do when throwing a sunflower themed party? Well call her dear auntie at 10pm asking if she remembers how she made it! Thanks for your help Aunt Rolayne!


So here is what we could remember, and how I attempted to re-create that beloved sunflower cookie (some trial and error involved, for sure).

  • I used a heart cookie cutter to cut out the "petals" and a wide glass to cut out large circles. I cooked them separately (learned that after baking them together first, didn't work)
  • Yellow icing and sanding sugar on the petals first ...allow it to set and dry well
  • Chocolate icing on the circle centers
  • Gently lay the heart "petals" around the chocolate circles, the icing acting as a "glue"
  • Scatter mini Chocolate Chips over the chocolate icing while still wet
I realized that my versions were too big for the cellophane bags I had, so in this case, good ol' saran wrap had to do. Placed all the cookies in a pretty basket for my guests.



Before the rain and chill arrives, I wanted one last evening on my lovely back deck, and it was an especially nice and warm evening. We turned on the globe lights (courtesy of Target, and oh the lighting they create is P.E.R.F.E.C.T) and had all the food on a table with a huge bouquet of sunflowers. I picked up a dozen at my local farmers market for $9. They were huge, and I had enough for two very large bouquets.


The dinner? It disappeared before it could be photographed, but I will try to describe it in juicy detail. We had cheese and crackers and olives as an appetizer, tri-tip roast, baked potatoes with all the fixin's. I picked up some amazing heirloom tomatoes at the same farmers market I purchased the sunflowers at. I found a recipe for homemade blue cheese dressing to drizzle over the tomatoes with some fresh basil. For dessert, a berry cobbler and ice cream. Yummy.

Now sharing the tasty blue cheese dressing recipe. Because, I am not a huge fan of blue cheese dressing normally... but this one changed my mind.
  • 4oz Roquefort, or another good crumbly blue cheese
  • 1 cup good mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tsp tarragon wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
Mix in a food processor until combined but still chunky. Easy? Yes! Delicious? Yes!


2 comments:

Corinne Morash said...

UM. really? THis is amazing!!!!!

Corinne @ The Splendid Stuff said...

I just posted your button, but had to play with the code, and I still have something funky showing - but it works.
HM. I can't seem to figure it out.
But, its linked!
I tested mine, and it seems to work ok...???? What the heck!